Every one of our hook-ups, if you want to call them that, as alien and lovely as Victorian horsehair upholstery against bare legs.
The riches we bequeath to our children can largely be reckoned in currencies of fear.
The Latest from Deborah at Psychology Today
- Suicide is Not a Moral Issue!Why do we dredge up the old, tired, moralistic language to describe death by suicide, but not death by somatic illness? Depression is no more a choice than cancer. It is just less quantifiable. Depression, perhaps more than most bodily diseases, is permeable. Shape-shifting. A moving target. It elud... Read MorePublished on: 1970-01-01
- Is School Making Your Kid Sick(er)?Feeling like part of a safe and welcoming community means as much to a child or teen as it does to most adults. Your local school district might be a prize-winning one, but if it is crushing your kid’s spirit, who cares about prizes?... Read MorePublished on: 2014-10-01
- Words are not ThingsI have struggled with using the phrase “mental illness” in my writing for as long as I've been publishing about disorders of the psyche. It is not a good term. It conveys only the most general kind of meaning. And it does not do justice to the fact that mental health disorders come in pr... Read MorePublished on: 2014-09-29
- We Are ALL Adam Lanza’s ParentsThe conditions under which people who are severely mentally ill live; their lack of access to appropriate, affordable mental health care; the social stigma that makes asking for help difficult; the sheer financial cost of addressing this problem, at a personal, local, and national level--these are i... Read MorePublished on: 2014-09-23
- OMG, What a Slacker Mom!Most children who act out in highly atypical ways probably can’t help it. Nor can their caregivers necessarily prevent it--even if said children have been receiving therapeutic treatment for years.... Read MorePublished on: 2014-09-17
Deborah on Twitter
- Is School Making Your Kid Sick(er)?