Coming in November, 2018 from Rowman & Littlefield! Parenting Children with Mental Health Challenges: A Guide to Life with Emotionally Complex Kids.
For years, [my son’s] death wish trumped everything. If he could not perform the act himself, then he wanted me to do it for him. It was the one and only sacrifice I could never make for him.
Every one of our hook-ups, if you want to call them that, as alien and lovely as Victorian horsehair upholstery against bare legs.Read
The riches we bequeath to our children can largely be reckoned in currencies of fear.Read
The Latest from Deborah at Psychology Today
- OMG, What a Slacker Mom!Most children who act out in highly atypical ways probably can’t help it. Nor can their caregivers necessarily prevent it--even if said children have been receiving therapeutic treatment for years. ... Read More
- Help–Stress is Eating My Brain!Let’s face it: stress sucks. It’s one of the warts on the underbelly of life. Relationships, the places we work, our finances (or lack thereof), and so on--they all breed angst. If you don't fight it, prolonged stress can take over your life--and make you sick. ... Read More
- How Animals Help Regulate Mental HealthI speak from experience--my own and my child’s--when I say that sometimes the Fluff Therapist beats the psychotherapist and the psychopharmacologist, hands down. You should retain both of these, of course--but what’s great about Ginger or Max is that their caseload is guaranteed to be re ... Read More
- What Mental Illness Costs, Part IIIThere are no promises in the world of mental illness, not even probabilities--only possibilities. No doctor or therapist or clinician of any kind can really give you a prognosis, or tell you how a medication or modality will work on your kid. Not if they're being honest with you. So the child you lo ... Read More
- What Mental Illness Costs, Part IIHere is the dirty little secret of psychiatric disability: no matter who you are or where you live, eventually it catches up with your wallet. ... Read More